Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Day -1... The stem cells have been harvested!

Hello!

Thank you all for the very nice posts!  I really appreciate all the well wishes!

I received news today that my donor's stem cells were harvested/collected today.  Unfortunately, some of the weather may be effecting when the cells get delivered and right now they are scheduled to arrive tomorrow evening around 6pm.  This means that I will receive my transplant tomorrow evening or early Thursday morning.  I will know for sure tomorrow, so we may be repeating Day -1, on Groundhog Day of course!

I am feeling good and strong.  Tiredness, nausea, and increased mouth and throat pain are prevalent, but on the bright side, my hiccups have subsided!  I get in 2-3 good walks everyday and always helps me feel energized.

I was given my last dose of the RATG today and started on another immunosuppresive drug called Tacrolimus (Prograf) that will be infused 24/7 for the next 2-4 weeks.

I had very nice visits from our good friends Wes and Kristi yesterday and Barry today.  Thank you all for taking time from your day for the visit! 

One story I need to share is that on Monday, the Eucharistic Minister that came to my room to give me Holy Communion, is the aunt of "Rocky" Bleier (Pittsburgh Steeler running back #20,1968-69, 1969-70: served in Vietnam, 1970-1980).  She saw my Steeler hat and said I was routing for the right team...must be fate (Rocky is in his mid 60's, so yes, his aunt was very old, but very sweet)!  Steelers will win their 7th Championship on Feb 6th!

I will let you all know if indeed Groundhog Day has us repeating Day -1 tomorrow!

Love,
John

3 comments:

  1. Through rain, snow, sleet, or hale - those stem cells WILL get there! You are such an inspiration, John - everything seems so trivial compared to what you are going through. The candle is still burning here, and we continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. John I AM THE BROTHER (RAMIRO CASTRO) THE MARINE THAT WENT TO FIGHT IN VIETNAM OF YOUR MOTHER -IN LAW SIDE ,I AM SENTING POSSIVE THOUHTS TO YOU THAT U WILL GET BETTER ALSO PRAYERS TO ST.JUDE MY WHOLE FAMILY IS PULLING FOR YOUR RECOVERY PEDRO,RAMIRO Jr,LUCY,AND CHRISTIAN,MY WIFE CATHY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yo Johnny, Premier Steeler Fan! Hope you aleart and feeeling better for the big game today. You were allways a Steeler fan since the Franco Harris days...and the Immaculate Reception.

    We are all inspired by your resolve and strength to overcome this. I am glad the transplant went well and that you gain blood strength soon. I'll see you at the hospital this week and you can talk smack about how the Steelers beat up on the Packers!

    Love You, and Keep the Faith,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete